Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If registration is required or recommended, click the 'Examiners Signup' button to start the process.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Radio License Exams (T)
Volunteer Examiners: Sign Up Here.
Exam Candidates: Read and follow the instructions below.
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AND PREPARE
❏ APPOINTMENT and Exam Application: Go to this LINK and select an IN-PERSON EXAM with New England Amateur Radio in Natick. There you will REGISTER to fill out an exam application (an electronic VEC Form 605).
❏ Exam Fee: You will pay at the door by cash or check when you arrive for your exam. Normally the exam fee is $15 for one attempt at all three license elements. However, if a candidate does not pass a test and wants to re-test for the same element, they must pay an additional fee. We will forward the fee to the ARRL VEC along with your exam scores and application. Make checks out to New England Amateur Radio, Inc.
❏ U.S. PHOTO ID: ONE legal PHOTO ID will need to be shown to the VE Team. Adults must show a U.S. or state-issued driver’s license, non-driver state ID, or U.S. passport. Under-18 students may show one of the above items, or the student shows a school ID or birth certificate and a legal guardian presents a photo ID.
❏ Parental Consent: For children under age 13, a parent must download and complete this COPPA Parental Consent Form and email it to the address on the COPPA form. Parent will stay in the room during a child’s exam.
FCC UNIVERSAL LICENSING SYSTEM (ULS)
- ❏ Exam Application: At the time you make an appointment for an in-person exam (see schedule), you will follow a LINK to YOUR specific exam session where you will fill out an exam application (an electronic VEC Form 605).
- ❏ Federal Registration Number (FRN): If you do not have an FRN, get an FRN ahead of time by visiting the FCC’s Registration page and clicking “Register for an FRN.” This number will uniquely identify you in all transactions with the FCC. You will need your SSN# to apply for an FRN. An instructional video https://www.fcc.gov/rofrn provides step-by-step instructions on how to establish an account.
- ❏ Email Address: Applicants must provide an email address on their license application, which will trigger the electronic issuance of the CSCE and an official copy of their license to the email provided. – per FCC statement
- ❏ Privacy Information: Please know that getting a ham radio license will make your name and address become public information when the new license is issued, just like phone book. An alternative address, such as a PO Box, would be acceptable. See details here: http://www.arrl.org/fcc-licensee-privacy. Social security numbers, phone numbers, and email addresses are never published.
- ❏ Basic Qualification Question: Applicants must answer the FCC basic qualification question (felony question). If an applicant answers YES, they must submit the required documentation directly to FCC within 14 days as outlined in these instructions http://www.arrl.org/fcc-qualification-question. The candidate should not communicate any information or documents to the Volunteer Examiner team or the VEC.
- ❏ FCC Enforcement Advisory: “Amateur and Personal Radio Services Licensees and Operators may not use radio equipment to commit or facilitate criminal acts.”
“Individuals using radios in the Amateur or Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution.”
Download the complete FCC Enforcement Advisory – FCC PUBLIC NOTICE.
- ❏ FCC $35 license Fee: A $35 FCC license fee applies to new, renewal, and modification applications that request a new vanity call sign. When the FCC receives the examination information, it will email a link with payment instructions to each qualifying candidate. The candidate will have 10 calendar days, from the date of the application file number being issued, to pay. After the fee is paid, and the FCC has processed an application, examinees will receive a second email from the FCC with a link to their official license. The link will be valid for 30 days.
EXAM DAY – WHAT TO BRING
- One legal U.S. photo ID.
- Check or cash for $15 exam fee. Make checks out to New England Amateur Radio, Inc.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared.
- You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session. You may not use devices with Internet capability such as smartphones, smartwatches, etc.
- Upgrading to a new license class? If your previous license or upgrade is still pending (not yet in the FCC database), bring a photocopy of your current license and/or Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination (CSCE) from previous exam sessions.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT THE EXAM
The Exam Manager will read to you the PROTOCOL for IN-PERSON Exams:
(*Parent or guardian of a child candidate must be present for the rules and answer questions. If child is under 13, a parent will remain in the room with the child.)
- You must complete the test without any interruptions that would raise suspicion about the integrity of the exam.
- Keep attention on your exam workspace at all times. You may not leave your seat during the exam session.
- Do not read questions out loud or talk to yourself. Silence your cell phone during the exam.
- Please remove any drinks, snacks, papers, or anything else from around your exam workspace.
- You ARE permitted to use a scrap paper, pencil, and manual calculator. You may not use any other kind of assistance unless pre-arranged and within FCC rules. (We supply paper, pencils, and calculators, but you may bring your own.)
- You agree that if the Exam Team suspects a possibility of cheating, the exam may be terminated and the exam fee forfeited.
- The exam manger will explain how to take the exam on a computer.
- When you finish, the exam manager will show you how to sign electronically.
- The exam manager will email your Certificate of Completion of Exam (CSCE) to the address you used to register.
- The exam manager will explain how the FCC will email instructions and link to pay the $35 license application fee for new candidates and how upgrade candidates may get on the air right away.
Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 6:00 PM
New England Sci-Tech
16 Tech Circle
Natick, MA 01760
Amateur Radio License Exams
Registration is recommended